lectures + talks
books edited2015 Experiencing the Unconventional. Science in Art, co-editor of the book, World Scientific, April 2015: order here
monographsNichtintentionalität und Agency in Biomedia Art, PhD Thesis 220 pg., available at the library of Bauhaus-University Weimar. Print publication forthcoming 2018
contributions to books and magazines2019 »Agency in Biomedia Art«, in: Jubiläumspublikation Bauhaus 100, ed. by Bauhaus-University Weimar, forthcoming (de/en)
2014 »slime mould microfluidical gates«, in Materials Today Vol.17, Issue 2, Pages 86-91. Read our article as open access
2013 »Chroma+Phy«, in: N.F. Lepora et al. (eds.): Living Machines 2013, LNAI 8064, Springer, Heidelberg (2013)
2012 Contribution to: »Bioevaluation Of World Transport Networks«, ed. by Andrew Adamatzky, World Scientific, Oct 2012
2011 »Remembrance Machine: The Ars Electronica Archive«, in: Ars Electronica 2011: Origin, pp. 316-319, ed. by H. Leopoldseder, G. Stocker, C. Schöpf
2011 »Nature, Decentralization and Complexity«, in: Ars Electronica 2011: Origin, pp. 394-395, ed. by H. Leopoldseder, G. Stocker, C. Schöpf
2010 »Sonification, artistic practise and scientific method«, co-author with Florian Grond, in: Audiovisualogy (Vol.1), D. Daniels/S. Naumann (ed.)
radio features & Hörspiel
- 2018 T. Schubert, M. Maage (Autorinnen): A.I.R. – Artificial Intelligence Radio, Hörspiel.
Produktion Bayerischer Rundfunk, BR2 - Redaktion Hörspiel und Medienkunst, Ursendung 27.04.2018
> Listen Online
- 2009 »Hören nach Zahlen« Sonifikation, Forschung zwischen Wissenschaft und Kunst :: Autor & Regie, Feature für BR2 Radio, Red. Hörspiel und Medienkunst, Ursendung 9. Jan 09.
2019 "Immersion" Vertigo STARTS residency:I am excited that my project "Immersive Minimalism" has been selected by the Europen Commission-funded STARTS programme. I will work with scientists and creative technologists from the University of Posnan, Poland, on creative content for UHD video environments.
2018-19 "Mind the Fungi", collaborative research project and exhibitions:Initiated by Technical University of Berlin, Dep. of Molecular Biology, and the ArtLaboratory Berlin, I am honoured to be invited as an artist to join the research on mushrooms and lichen in the area of Berlin and Brandenbug.
2017 "Nichtintentionalität und Agency in biomedialer Kunst", Ph.D. at the Bauhaus-University Weimar, Faculty of Art & Design:The dissertation "Non-intentionality and Agency in Biomedia Art" combines own artistic works with philosophy and cultural/art theory. Based on an analysis of non-intentional methods based on randomness or natural processes in the genesis of artworks, effects on the understanding of the artist role, the concept of the author as well as the production and presentation modes of ephemeral work are discussed. A particular focus is on the introduction and transfer of the concept of distributed agency from assemblages of human and non-human entities to the arts.
Supervisors: Prof. Ursula Damm, Hon.-Prof. Dr. Kai-Uwe Schierz.
Disputation 15.06.2018, reviewers: Prof. Ursula Damm, Prof. Dr. Georg Trogemann
Grade: magna cum laude
2013-16 Collaborative EU-project "Physarum Chip - growing computers from slime mould":Artistic researcher for the Unconventional Computing-Project PhyChip within the ICT-framework, sub-programme Future and Emerging Technologies.
I focus on experiments with Physarum polycephalum and the development of tangible interfaces and environments, including the translation of information and hidden processes of the organism into audiovisual media and immersive artworks.
- 2018-19 Lecturer / replacement professor at the chair 'Design of Media Environments' at the Bauhaus-University Weimar, WS 2018/19.
Classes for MA students
- 2018 »Interspecies Collaboration«, workshop at the Burg Giebichenstein Halle (DE), 04/2018
- 2017 »Strategies of Artistic Research«, class with PhD students from the Art University Linz (AT), 03/2017
- 2015 »Media Art and Artistic Research«, guest lecture at the Departamento de Arte y Empresa, Universidad de Guanajuato, Mexiko, 11/2015
- 2013 »Arte e Enfermedades«, class with media art students (BA) from the Bauhaus University Weimar in cooperation with Abbvie
- 2012 »Using living organisms in Art«, guest lecture at the Art + Science departement of the University of Applied Arts Vienna
- 2011 »Interactive and Generative Art«, guest lecturer at the FH Hagenberg (AT), MA Digital Arts, November 2011
- 2010 »Text in Interactive and Generative Installations«, guest lecture for students from the University of Applied Arts, Vienna
- 2010 »Interactive and Generative Art within the Ars Electronica Archive«, guest lecture for MA students in digital arts at FH Hagenberg (AT)
- 2010 »Digital Arts«, guest lecture for MA students in digital arts at FH Hagenberg (AT)
On a regular basis I run workshops out of my studio on "Bioart and BioLogic of Slime Moulds", "Cultivation of fungi", "Interspecies Communication", and other topics surrounding media art and bio art. Ask me for other themes :)2019 Intelligence of Everything - co-director of a two day hacklab with Helena Nikonole at the Museum of Modern Art in Moscow
2018 Walks and Talks - performative workshops in the forest as part of the TU 'mind the fungi'
2017 Slime Mold: Art + Bio-computation - workshop, Specktrum Gallery Berlin
2017 The forestal Psyche - a commissioned workshop for the Nonhuman Agents Programm of ArtLaboratory Berlin
2014 Networking with Slime Mould - a commissioned workshop for ResearchGate in Berlin // Aug 2014
2012 Bio-Art Hacking - a workshop introducing the acellular organism physarum polycephalum as a creative medium and how to replace biolab equipment through kitchen ware | ARGE Kultur Salzburg, invited by subnet.at // March 10 2012
2010 Sound Production with Audacity - audio workshop at the Museumsquartier, Wien (AT) | Mz Baltasar's Laboratory // Dec 2010
2007 Seeking Sound - radio site-specific workshop and recording techniques | Electrofringe/This is Not Art - Festival Newcastle (AU)
2007 Getaway Home - series of workshops about travelling, via the medium of drawing and animation with 12 school classes (about 300 kids, 8-12 years old) | Maitland Regional Art Gallery
2006 Queer Youth Audio Project - audio postproduction workshop for a radio documentary about queer issues by young poeple | The Loft Youth Venue Newcastle (AU) // Aug - Oct 07
2006 Building micro radio transmitters & eGraffiti | Electrofringe/This is Not Art - Festival Newcastle (AU) // Oct 06
2006 Radiophonic Workshop - workshop about history of sound art, hands-on field recordings | Octapod